Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Friend Passes



My older brother's dog Khaya (kai-yuh) passed away last night. She was a beautiful dog I always loved seeing, even though those times were too few and too far between. This dog was muscular, fast, and full of energy, a very happy dog. But what I like about her most was her calmness, her calming effect even. For all her energy, she loved to snuggle. She was no poodle, no lap dog, yet she'd climb right up in your lap and lay down and go to sleep, happy to lay there if it made you happy, which for me, it always did. This was a 60 something pound wiry dog mind you, but she was always comfortable.

I loved to lay down on the floor up against her, in her element, in her doggy world, sprawl out with her in the middle of the floor and watch the humans biped around, busy busy humans. Its amazing how dogs can fill a special niche in our lives, fill up a special compartment of our hearts, fit in a special place in the family. So now when I snuggle with some other random dog I meet, I'll think of Khaya, and the memories will fill those same places, and I'll smile.

1 comment:

  1. Oh NOOO!! Oh David tell Joel and Donna that we are soo sorry for the loss of Kaiya. She was such a sweet dog. I loved her even though i only saw her once. Hope they are doing ok

    ReplyDelete